Moxie Mountain Trail South
A Step Hike With A Great Summit View
Challenging – 4.5/5 stars
2.8 miles out and back
This trail is a great hike which provides increasingly impressive views as it is ascended. Located in Caratunk, Maine, the Moxie Mountain South Trail displays spectacular views of surrounding mountains, ponds, lakes and glimpses of the lower Kennebec River. The Kennebec is home to class 4 whitewater rafting as well as relaxing tubing floats.
Moxie Mountain is considered a more challenging hike due to its steep ascent. However, this dog-friendly trail has outlooks and other points to stop and enjoy the view on your way up. The trail starts at a lesser incline and gradually gets more rocky and steep as the blue trail markers lead you to the summit. The top of this trail provides magnificent views which can be taken advantage of during a nice day or even sunset for an even more beautiful landscape. A helicopter landing pad and solar panels can also be found at the top of this hike. The trail’s log book is located underneath the helicopter pad in a metal box.
Be aware that the Moxie Mountain South trail is accessed via logging roads. While traveling down the many miles of logging road, low clearance vehicles may have to take more care and travel slowly. There is little service at the base of the trail so it is also recommended to download a map or directions.
Directions From Three Rivers
Traveling to Moxie Mountain Trail South from Three Rivers Whitewater
- Begin by driving about 19 miles south on US-201
- Turn left onto Donigan Road before taking a right a few hundred feet later on Frith Road
- About 1 mile later, make sure to keep right onto Stream Road
- Turn left at a 4 way intersection where the mountain can be seen straight ahead
- About 3 and a half miles down the road, the trail sign can be seen and a small grass section for parking will be available